Foodie Friday: Stuffed Breakfast Bell Peppers
July 24, 2020 |
Happy Foodie Friday everyone! I’ve had quite a few people tell me they are tired of their day to day breakfast so why not mix it up a bit with this new recipe?! This is a simple breakfast that can be used to whip up a nutritious meal for the family or be used as an easy meal prep for an individual.
Getting veggies in the morning is a difficult task sometimes but this makes it super easy and delicious!
Ingredients: Serves 4 1/2 bell peppers
• 2 colorful bell peppers
• 1 cup chopped asparagus spears
• 1 cup chopped mushrooms (or your other favorite, non-watery veggie) (optional)
• 3 eggs + 3 egg whites
• 2 tablespoons can coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon sage
• 1 teaspoon thyme (or rosemary)
• pinch of sea salt & pepper
• 4 tablespoons reduced-fat mozzarella
• 1 heaping tablespoon parmesan, grated (optional – I just had some extra so I used it)
1. Set oven to broil.
2. Slice bell peppers in half and carve out the inside. Place them open side down on a baking sheet (or cast iron skillet). Broil for 10 to 12 minutes. Once they are finished, remove them from the oven and flip them over.
3. Set oven to 420F.
4. Set a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat and spray with olive oil. Add asparagus and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the asparagus is seared on the outside and slightly softer (there should still be some crunch). Set aside.
5. Whisk together the ingredients for the filling in a bowl.
6. Fill each bell pepper with about 1/3 cup of the egg mixture. Evenly divide the sautéed veggies among the bell pepper halves, then top with cheese (if desired).
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the egg is no longer runny.
8. You can eat these on-the-go with a whole wheat or whole grain toast. The bell pepper is firm enough to hold the egg but soft enough to eat so it won’t be messy. The coconut milk makes it creamy and MUCH more enjoyable.