Foodie Friday: Warm Cinnamon Apples
September 18, 2020 |
Happy Foodie Friday everyone! Want a healthy sweet treat that isn’t going to load you full of a bunch of added sugar?
Fall is my favorite time to start adding cinnamon to absolutely everything and the combo of apples and cinnamon gives me flashbacks to having a delicious apple pie!
This recipe is so easy and can be done in under 20 minutes. I use this as a dessert alternative, easy snack, and even a side to a balanced meal! Chopping the apples into small chunks and adding them to the top of a warm bowl of protein oatmeal is my favorite fall breakfast!
Ingredients: 12 servings
• 4 pounds apples cored and sliced (not too thin, or they will break up! - I like to cut each apple into 8 wedges)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1/4 cup apple juice
• 1/4 cup sugar-free sweetener OR honey
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2-3 teaspoons arrowroot OR organic cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Place the apples and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss until butter has melted and is coating the apples.
2. Mix apple juice, sweetener, cinnamon, allspice and salt and pour over the apples. Toss. Cover with a lid and simmer on medium-low heat for around 5 minutes.
3. Uncover and toss. Either simmer until thickened, or add arrowroot/cornstarch and toss quickly.
4. Stir in apple cider vinegar and serve hot.