Foodie Friday: Orange Chicken Poppers
October 09, 2020 |
Happy Foodie Friday everyone! I have to say, one of my biggest heart breaks is when people tell me they are tired of chicken. Usually this happens because people are doing the same salt and pepper chicken breast and are doing that every. single. day.
Mixing things up is a great way to constantly have change especially when it comes to your diet. Eating the same thing every day means you’re missing out on all of the fun foods you can be cooking!
Today’s recipe is an easy batch of Orange Chicken Poppers that provided some variety to your typical chicken dinners.
Ingredients: 20-25 poppers
· 1 lb ground chicken
· 2 cups carrots, finely shredded/riced
· 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
· 2 tbsp coconut flour
· 2 tbsp coconut oil
· 2 tsp fresh orange zest
· 2–3 springs of green onion, sliced on the bias
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1/2 tsp black pepper
FOR THE SAUCE
· 1/4 cup coconut aminos
· 1 tbsp fish sauce
· 1 tsp orange zest
· 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
· Juice of one orange
· 1 tsp honey
· 1 tsp onion powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and prepare a baking sheet with coconut oil
2. Using a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, carrots, and onion.
3. Next, add in the coconut oil, coconut flour, sea salt, black pepper and orange zest. Mix well to thoroughly combine.
4. Roll the mixture into small, slightly flattened poppers about one inch in diameter (you’ll have about 20-25 poppers) and place them on the cooking sheet
5. Place in the oven for 25-28 minutes, flipping halfway through
6. Remove from the oven and set aside
7. In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut aminos, orange zest, fish sauce, apple cider vinegar fresh orange juice, honey, and onion powder and whisk together.
8. Cook on medium/low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often
9. Carefully add the poppers into the bowl with the sauce, lightly mixing and spooning the sauce over them. Be careful not to break the poppers but spoon enough sauce to saturate them.
10. Spoon out the poppers onto a serving dish and either top with the remainder of the sauce or serve the sauce on the side.
11. Top with green onion and enjoy!
Nutrition: 1 Popper