Foodie Friday: Black-Eyed Peas
January 01, 2021 |
Happy Foodie Friday everyone! And HAPPY 2021!! With the New Year comes the very southern tradition of having black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day. It is thought to bring prosperity and good luck in the New Year! So EAT UP!
This recipe puts a fun twist on the traditional black-eyed peas recipe and could maybe even give you some extra luck leading into 2021.
• 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and soaked overnight or for 8 hours
• 6-8 cups water, or vegetable broth
• 1 medium onion. chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (I used both red and green)
• 2 aprigs thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• Sea salt, to taste
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Add peas to 6 cups of water in a large bowl and soak overnight. Drain peas and rinse. Place peas in a large pot with 6 cups of water and bring to boil on medium-high. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for about 45 minutes or until peas are tender. If they are drying out before being tender then add extra water or vegetable broth.
2. Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium, cut each hot dogs into coins and saute until golden brown. Set aside.
3. Stir in onion, garlic, bell pepper, thyme, cayenne, smoked paprika and salt into the peas and continue to cook until sauce is thickened. Delicious served with cornbread and collards greens.